Rosewater usage and its merits
Rosewater is prepared by mixing rose petals in water, and the steam distillation process extracts them. It has immense uses as perfumes due to its fragrance, medicinal, cosmetics, and culinary areas. Traditionally from the 7th century, rose water is being used as a medicine in Arab countries, especially Iran, where it is believed as the origin point of the rose water. Rosewater is not only a beauty ingredient but also maintains mental health. This magical ingredient contains tons of benefits due to its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and antioxidant properties. This may helps to hydrate, tone, and soothe the skin.
Merits of Rose Water
It provides several cosmetic and health benefits due to phenolic compounds, volatile oils, and aromatic compounds. It is used for
- Irritated and inflamed skin
Here, the local application of rose water is an effective method for treating eczema and rosacea, which are inflamed and irritated skin conditions. Polyphenols, which is the anti-inflammatory compound in rosewater, play a significant role.
The anti-bacterial property of the volatile compounds in the rose water helps in soothing the acne lesions and tightening the pores by serving as a good toner.
Rosewater helps in delaying the indication of aging like rough skin, fine lines, wrinkles, etc. This may be due to its antioxidant property and also involve in smoothening of the skin.
- Dry skin
It acts as a moisturizer for people with all skin types in winter but especially to dry skin.
- Cuts, burns, and scars
Due to antibacterial and antiseptic properties, rose water helps heal wounds, cuts, and burns.
- It is used as a part of an eye drop and used to treat several eye problems such as dry eye or conjunctival xerosis, cataracts, acute dacryocystitis, etc.
- Rosewater can be used in the form of a hair mask or by directly massaging the hair, providing great relief in itching and redness of the scalp, and reducing dandruff.
- Anxiety and stress
Rosewater acts as a stress buster by giving a relaxed feeling due to its aromatic component. Its fragrance stimulates the release of good feel hormones such as serotonin. This hormone helps in relieving anxiety, stress, headaches, and migraines. A cloth is dipped in the rose water and placed in the forehead, which is done based on aromatherapy.
Traditionally, rose water has been used to treat sore throat, and still, the practice continues. Also, it was found that rose water acts as a relaxant on the throat muscles.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease, gastritis, and various other stomach ulcers may contain heartburn which can be reduced by consuming a small quantity of rose water. The gut's inflammatory condition is also treated with the help of rose water due to its anti-inflammatory property. This may also help to treat digestive problems by improving bile secretion.
Rosewater can be easily obtained from the market or can be prepared by ourselves. It can be utilized in several ways:
- It can be used as a toner and also as moisturizer. After cleaning the face with a regular cleanser, use rose water to rinse the face.
- They are used to spritz over the makeup to serve as a makeup setting agent.
- Used as a hair conditioner
- They are used to prepare simple recipes like hibiscus iced tea with rose water.
- Using rosewater in water for bathing helps to relax.