Oushadha Kanji or Karkidaka Kanji as it is widely known is mostly prepared in the Malayalam month of Karkidakam when monsoons soar. After the hot scorching summer, the sudden cooling due to downpour makes a person go out of balance. Moreover, the season is cold and dry, and the predominant Vata gets aggravated along with Pita accumulation. Kapha does not have much influence during this time. An easily digestible food is the apt one for such a season. Also, Agni weakens and hence it is advisable to take fewer digestives.
During monsoon, it is advisable to take sweet, oily, sour, salty, and hot foods. Care should be taken to drink pure water as water becomes polluted easily. During a heavy downpour, it is advisable to take easily digestible foods.
Oushadha kanji or Karkidaka kanji is one special recipe for the monsoon season. It is a healthy tonic that boosts immunity, energy, and stamina. This porridge cleanses the body from the inside out and also helps in digestion. One should take Karkidaka kanji continuously for 7 days or 14 days or 21 days.
Oushadha Kanji is a combination of grains, herbs, and spices that keeps fever at bay. It is a special Ayurvedic diet and acts by detoxifying the body.
- Broken rice – 10 gm
- Shashtika Shali (Red rice) – 100 gm
- Chandrashoora (Garden cress) – 10 gm
- Trikatu Choorna – 5 gm
- Dashamoola Choorna – 5 gm
- Dashapushpa Choorna – 10 gm
- Medhika (Fenugreek) – 10 gm
- Jeeraka (Cumin) – 10 gm
- Jaggery – Sufficient Quantity
- Coconut milk – Sufficient Quantity
- Water – Sufficient Quantity
How to prepare
- Boil a glass of water and add Dashamoola choornam.
- To this add 100 gm of red rice and allow it to boil.
- Then add Trikatu Choorna, Jeeraka, Medhika, Broken rice.
- When the rice is cooked, add Dashapushpa powder along with the required quantity of jaggery and coconut milk.
- Serve piping hot.
- Helps in digestion
- Good for diabetes
- Removes toxins from the body
- Reduces cholesterol
- Good for arthritis
- Improves Immunity
- Provides energy
The ingredients are suited to meet individual needs to maintain overall health. The herbs included are potent antibiotics with anti-inflammatory and analgesic. Regular intake maintains every system of the body, providing care to metabolism and digestion all the while maintaining a proper system function. It is good for all people irrespective of the kind of illness, even in the case of multi-system disorders.